Sunday, July 9, 1995

THE SIMPLE THINGS


The simple things have always been
the joy within my days,
as I look back in wonder
to the past my heart does stray.

When as a child upon my back
in fields of hay and flowers,
I wiled away in youthful bliss
discerning clouds for hours.

Listening to the hum of life
and smelling earth’s perfumes,
with eyes that never tired
of its abundant, fragrant blooms.

The air was ever pregnant
with sweet mysteries and more,
and just around each corner
were new worlds to explore.

I skipped and played till nine o’clock
all the joyous summer games,
with all the kids upon our street
we were a little less than tame.

And oh, the fun of swinging
back and forth and higher and higher,
singing all those childhood songs
with voice and heart inspired.

I’m thankful for these simple things
that were given unto me,
and pray that I will always
see with eyes that truly see.

Margaret Rose Larrivee
July 09, 1995

No comments: