Tuesday, April 24, 2007

THEY’RE BACK...


My friends the frogs are back again
day and night ‘reedeep’ their songs,
of love to one another
this sound to Spring belongs.

From the time when I was little
they have been friends of mine,
they’ve sung me to the land of nod
for about the millionth time.

I adored their bulging eyes
their skin so moist and cold,
they have not the means to hurt you
if you squeezed too hard they’d scold.

Some of the boys abused them
it made me often cry,
they were so very helpless
why this cruelty, why?

Long ago God gave them to us
it’s a very special gift,
for when they sing their serenades
it gives our hearts a lift.

Their usefulness in keeping down
the scores of insects everywhere,
the more they eat, the less we’re bitten
and You’ve put them in our care.

Margaret Rose Larrivee
Apr. 24, 2007

No comments: