Wednesday, March 28, 2007

IT’S THE LITTLE THINGS


With the experience that comes with time
I’ve realized it’s not the size of the gift, but the
attitude and the sentiment of the giver. A gift given
begrudgingly might as well be back in the store,
as there will be no joy in it, and there will be bad
feelings all round. I’d rather just be remembered,
or treated special for awhile, fix my dinner for me and then
we could dance together in the living room to some romantic
music. Wouldn’t that be nice? The things of this life just gather dust
and I want the gift of memories, that comes from doing personal,
loving, touching things for each other, that speak of genuine love
and respect. It can happen in those unforgettable
moments when you suddenly realize that you both have been sitting
in each other’s company in total peace without a word
for the longest time. To me, that is happiness of the lasting kind and hearts
overflow with that special love that God gives us, all comforting and serene.
Another thing that must be kept fresh is the touching. The caress of a hand
on the neck of our spouse as we pass by has the affect of letting the receiver know
that we acknowledge his/her presence and tells them that we care. Touch is needed
by each and every person from the cradle to the grave and without it we humans
become disfunctional and unable to interact with our peers in a normal way.
A hug heals, rejuvenates, soothes and encourages the hugger as well as the huggee.
A simple ‘thank you’ and a smile can work wonders and when you listen to someone’s
pain filled words and let them know you are there for them, somehow it halves the
problem and gives solace to a heart heavily burdened.
So don’t give me gifts a-plenty, of them I have no need,
It’s the little things I care about, they mean everything to me.

Margaret Rose Larrivee
Mar. 28, 2007

No comments: